As expected academics are very important at Del Mar Pines. Our Classes limit the number of students per room and have 2 teachers per class for a more personalized educational experience. We also dedicate up to fifteen hours per week of academic focused classes in small group instruction in both language arts and mathematics. Whole class learning takes place in science and social studies.
Del Mar Pines has integrated a variety of research-supported, accelerated/brain-based teaching methodologies into its academics instructional strategies. The following are some of the teaching tenets that guide the School’s academic and special classes.
Brain-based Teaching Methodologies
- Every brain is totally unique
- Threat of high stress can alter and impair learning
- Emotions are critical to learning, affecting attention, health, learning, meaning and memory
- Information is stored and retrieved through multiple memory and neural pathways
- All learning is affected by the mind and body. Movement, nourishment attention cycles and chemical interactions have powerful modulating effects on learning
- Intelligence is the ability to elicit and to construct useful patterns
- The brain is meaning-driven
- Learning is often rich and non-conscious.
- The brain develops more effectively in concert with other brains
- The brain develops with various stages of readiness
- The brain can grow new connections at any age
Beyond academics, our specialist instructors teach wide-ranging agendas of fine arts, Spanish language, music, technology, and physical education with lessons taking place in a dedicated library, music, or art room. All of our computer education or technology classes are taught in the students classroom, as we have a one-to-one student to computer ratio. Del Mar Pines physical education and recreational programs are conducted on the school’s artificial soccer field, the playground, sand play areas, or basketball courts.
The music room is home to a variety of stimulating presentations and student productions, and the library houses a full complement of books and multimedia materials for students and teachers alike.